In Me to Give

Posted On 9:08 PM |

I finally donated blood for the first time this morning. And I took the kids to experience it with me too. My oldest is the age that I was when my mom was diagnosed with leukemia, and with us celebrating her 20th anniversary and now approaching Christmas, I thought this was a perfect time. Despite the boredom of waiting (we arrived 45 minutes before showtime), I think the kids did great. I made sure they watched as the pint-sized bag filled with life and understood that whatever pain I felt from the prick of the needle was nothing compared to the sufferings of the people I was now helping to heal. I'm sure the Oreos and Bits N Bites at the refreshment table helped them remain on their best behaviour too.

I was thanked so many times by all the Canadian Blood Services people who took care of me, perhaps on behalf of the three people who will soon benefit from my contribution. I'm just thankful for the opportunity to share.
edit post
1 Response to 'In Me to Give'
  1. kaleihiwahiwa
    http://leiskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/12/in-me-to-give.html?showComment=1230068520000#c3571729951846567635'> December 23, 2008 at 4:42 PM

    i'm so proud of you! i've never been able to donate because of my size and more recently because of my blood volume issues. james does it on my behalf, but it is always my hope that one day i'll be able to do it as well.

    good call on taking the little ones with you. :)