Prep Day

Posted On 11:16 AM |

The kids are home from school for a P.A. Day today and so far we haven't rung each other's necks. Yet. My Lil Girl's big day at church is tomorrow and I can't wait to see her in her little suit and two, yes, two ribbons tied in a bow in her hair. I feel so excited for her because a) she's excited, and b) days in the spotlight are always important for middle kiddles, as is some sense of control over the details. She either approved or selected all elements of her Communion outfit and the day's menu.

I decided that we wouldn't order any food for the party, so last night I started prepping for my homemade maki, pancit (shout-outs to my mom's side of the family who are firm believers that noodles are no good without bacon) and cupcakes. I got a few new supplies and am attempting the perfect 1M swirl. I pray for success, as I know I have some hardcore bakers and pro-cupcakers reading this and I plan to post photos of the finished products.

~

I'm trying to invent a word (because that's what I do) to sum up how I'm feeling today. Excitement because I love trying new things in the kitchen when I'm confident they'll turn out purrty good. I'm also feeling so happy for family and friends who recently welcomed new additions (count 'em - at least four just last week). But this week is also a sad one, as news of at least three deaths has emerged in the last couple of days. And while the kids' spring concert was a raving success last night, I think a few of us were secretly getting emotional about my kids and my Fave kids growing up apart come next month. It's making me really think about how our world is always changing, being reborn....our family is again approaching a stage of transition and as exciting as new beginnings are, there's still a bit of housekeeping that needs to be take care of.

Here's hoping that nothing will cure Scatterbrain Blues better than a bit of California rollin'.
edit post
2 Response to 'Prep Day'
  1. Cheryl Anne
    http://leiskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/05/prep-day.html?showComment=1241453940000#c1289797223273990814'> May 4, 2009 at 12:19 PM

    I hope yesterday was a wonderful day for L. I can't believe she approved ribbons in her hair...good for her! I hope the family had a wonderful day!

     

  2. Lei's Kitchen
    http://leiskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/05/prep-day.html?showComment=1241469480000#c9190918697300730622'> May 4, 2009 at 4:38 PM

    Haha, a mom from school asked me what I did to convince her to do the ribbons!